Saturday, October 8, 2016

Connecting the Dots

Following my review of previous blogs, one connection that was most apparent was between the Opportunism and Illinibucks blogs. Although my analysis/anecdote for opportunism was not entirely accurate, I feel that my understanding of the subject has grown since then. In particular, the ethical dilemma that comes with acting in an opportunistic manner. Knowing that principle nor planning have little/no effect on one's decision making, it is obvious that opportunism is a driving force behind the practicality of Illinibucks. An example that I used in the Illinibucks piece was in regards to the book-buying process and the painful annoyance it sometimes can be. If Illinibucks were in use, they could be employed to skip the entire line to reach the checkout at the bookstore. Using Illinibucks in that situation is opportunism. The incentive to get out of line faster and carry on with the day outweighs the cost of making the students without Illinibucks angry. Similarly, no planning is involved.

On a different note, my blog about a successful team I was apart of connects well to the alignment problem concept. In class we discussed the format of our classroom in a physical sense. The seating is not optimal due to the necessity to fit approximately 30 people in a small space. The organization that controls the desks that are placed into the classroom and the University itself may be on separate agendas. This outlines one reason why big organizations may not work harmoniously. Thus, we discussed how the university is not fulfilling their goal to provide a transformative learning environment in this isolated example. This concept of mismatched planning and execution can be applied to the struggles my football team initially experienced in high school. All team members want to win as many games as possible. However, the team struggled in achieving that goal as the team was not as organized/disciplined as it could have been. For example, some players would provide lackluster effort in practice, thereby affecting their game performance. Conversely, there were players that provided consistency as they always gave their best attempt. A major reason for the turnaround from a 2-4 record to being one of the last 8 teams in playoffs can be attributed to recognition of this problem by leaders on the team and their response to it. With all team members conscious of their contribution, the team's overall performance improved instantly.

My approach to blogging has absolutely changed since I began the class. At the onset of the semester, I was very casual with the amount of research and effort that I put into my posts. I find that attending class and taking Professor Arvan's constructive comments and applying them towards my next post play an integral role in improving the quality of my writing. After we discuss these economic concepts in class, I feel more confident in constructing a worthwhile argument and contributing to our discussion of these topics. I believe that writing about real-life situations greatly broadens our ability to make connections from one concept to the next.

In the future, I look forward to seeing my comprehension of topics in the class growing. I feel as though my blogs discuss the more general facts about the topic or concept. As we get further into the course, my goal is to be able to understand the complexities of the material and apply the concepts to what is going on in the world outside of the classroom. I feel that reading more on the topics will be extremely beneficial to my learning experience.  I also believe that reading more of other students blogs will aid my understanding as well. That way, I can recognize what they did correctly and what was incorrect and apply it to my analysis of the concept. I am intrigued to see how my experience will grow and change as the class progresses.

4 comments:

  1. Is it opportunism if everyone does it on occasion? As you know I grew up in NYC. If you watched how people drive there, cutting somebody else off was just how it was done. My driving behavior would actually change when I got home over a holiday and become much more aggressive at the wheel. Back in Champaign, it is much easier to be laid back about the driving, so I am.

    Discussing your football team's performance via the alignment problem is interesting. I will continue to remind you that in a sports setting a team can perform quite well and still not win. Alternatively, a team can win without the best of teamwork, if there is great enough individual effort from some star members. So success of a team may provide some indication of alignment of the team members, but it is not a guarantee of that.

    It sounds like you have a good plan in your ultimate paragraph for how to keep improving with the blogging. I hope you can pull that off and I look forward to reading further posts from you to demonstrate that.

    One sidebar comment - I encourage you to proofread your posts before submitting them. There are some word usage errors in this one that otherwise detract from your message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with how you stated that this class has helped you gain confidence in your blog posts. i also have felt that and i believe that it is because we are learning on a few different levels. applying real life situations onto these conceptual concepts helps me visualize what i am learning from past experiences

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you compared your football team to the alignment problem. Going off of Professor Arvan's comments, I can relate to how a team can be successful and still not win. When I was playing on a top soccer team, Chicago Magic, our team was extremely well organized and preformed for each other, we had all the necessary components for success but did not win. Alternatively I have had teams who do not work and are not as committed, like my Illinois Club Soccer team. We do not practice hard, we are not in the best shape, but we still out preform teams due to talent.

    Reading through your previous posts you have improved every time in my opinion with your writing style and overall goal of accomplishing the plot.

    It seems as if my post never posted till now..I understand if I receive no credit.

    ReplyDelete